The Bachelor of Education is a two-year (4 Semester) full-time programme aimed at developing the understanding and competencies required by practicing teachers for effective teaching-learning process at the secondary stage. This programme prepares prospective teachers to understand the psychological and sociological aspects of the child’s development and also understand his behaviour under different conditions. The course work combined with rigorous practice of teaching prepares teacher trainees to master the art of teaching and the ability to deal with students based on their individual differences in various classroom situations. The number of seats to the B. Ed. Course shall be 150. The selection of candidates shall be made on the basis of academic merit of the qualifying examination or as prescribed by the competent authority from time to time. The Degree shall be awarded to the successful candidates by the University of Jammu. However, the Marks Certificates, Provisional Certificates and Migration Certificates shall be issued by the College.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
1) To enable students to understand the central concepts, tools of inquiry and structures of the disciplines of Education in general and teacher education in particular.
2) To provide opportunities to teacher trainees that enable learning experiences to make subject matter meaningful at the secondary level.
3) To make the student teachers understand how children learn and develop, how they differ in their approaches to learning and create learning opportunities that benefit diverse learners and learning contexts
4) To develop the skills of student teachers to plan learning experiences in and outside the classroom that are based on learners’ existing proficiency, interests, experiences and knowledge, and enable them to understand how students come to view, develop, learn and make sense of subject matter contained in the curriculum.
5) To develop the capacity among student teachers to use knowledge of effective verbal, non-verbal and media communication techniques to foster active enquiry, collaboration and supportive interaction in the classroom.
6) To enable the student teachers to understand and use formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and ensure the continuous intellectual social, emotional and physical development of the learners.
7) To provide student teachers self-identity as a ‘teacher’ through school based learning experiences and reflective practices that continually evaluate the effects of their choices and actions. 8) To change the behaviour, attitude and values of teacher trainees so that they shape into responsible and accountable agents of change in the society, in the perspective of local, national and global concerns and issues vital for human survival, progress and development. 9) To provide a rich programme of curricular and extra-curricular activities for student teachers for all round development of their personalities as also those of the students whom they teach.
Admission shall be open to those candidates who have passed their Bachelor's Degree (10+2+3 pattern) and / or Master’s Degree with 50% aggregate marks (45% for SC/ST candidates) in the Faculty of Arts, Science, Social Science, Commerce or Faculty of Music and Fine Arts from the University of Jammu or an examination of any other University recognized as equivalent thereto or Bachelor’s Degree examination of four year duration from a recognized University.
A student shall be eligible for End-Semester Examination if he/she has attended not less than 80% of the lectures delivered in theory including seminars, tutorials etc. in each course and 90% of the internship/field work etc.
The Syllabus and Courses of study in the B.Ed. programme are as prescribed by the College from time to time and also governed by its regulations/statutes. The Broad guidelines of the course are as prescribed by the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE). The B.Ed. course is of Two Years duration and is divided into four semesters. The candidate has to complete the course with all the components (Theory as well as Internship) in a maximum period of three plus one years from the date of admission to the course.
The candidates admitted to the B.Ed. Course are required to deposit fee and other charges as prescribed by the college, the details of which can be had from the admissions office. Difference in amount if any will have to be paid as and when demanded by the college authorities. The fee for B.Ed. programme is Rs. 61,000/- per annum. Fee and other charges are subject to revision every year.
" I am deeply indebted to all the faculty members at MIER college for their immense support, encouragement and efforts in imparting quality education and developing the overall personality of the students. I feel fortunate and proud to be a part of the MIER family. I hope and pray that MIER college achieves greater echelons of educational excellence."
"The teaching-learning process at MIER college is par excellence. The course work which embeds the use of ICT and rigorous practice has transformed me into a professional teacher. The rich array of curricular and extra-curricular activities helped me to hone my skills and develop my overall personality. The faculty motivated me to do my best all the time and to keep striving for more, never settle for less."