The B.Ed. Special Education is a two-year (4 Semester) Full-Time programme aimed at developing teachers for children with disabilities for various settings. The B.Ed. Special Education (Intellectual Disability) course will prepare human resources to enable them to acquire knowledge and develop competencies and skills to impart education and training effectively to all children including children with special needs especially in the area of mental retardation. This programme is approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) and is aimed at training students to teach mentally retarded children in both normal and special schools. The number of seats to the B. Ed. Special Education Course shall be 30. The selection of candidates shall be made on the basis of academic merit in the qualifying examination or as prescribed by the competent authority from time to time. The Degree shall be awarded to the successful candidates by the University of Jammu. However, the Marks Certificates, Provisional Certificates and Migration Certificates shall be issued by the College.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
1) To enable the teacher trainees to understand the concept of disability, inclusive education, the discipline of education and mainstreaming of the differently-abled children in the field of mental retardation.
2) To make the teacher trainees understand how differently-abled children learn and develop, how they differ in their approaches to learning due to their disabilities and create learning opportunities that are beneficial to their diverse learning needs and context.
3) To develop the skills of teacher trainees to plan special learning experiences in both curricular and co-curricular activities in and outside the class room which are based on the existing learning difficulties faced by the differently-abled persons to achieve the objectives of the curriculum.
4) To enable the teacher trainees to understand and use formal and informal assessment strategies to identify, evaluate and educate differently-abled persons and work towards their rehabilitation in the society.
5) To identify the special needs of children with disabilities and develop confidence in them to realize their potential and abilities to live with self-respect, dignity and freedom.
6) To develop skills and competencies of the teacher trainees to cater to the needs of the children with mental retardation and disabilities in general and in a special class settings in particular in cognitive, affective and skill domains.
7) To equip trainees with various techniques of teaching children with mental retardation associated with additional disabilities in special and inclusive setup.
Admission to the B.Ed. Special Education (ID) programme shall be open to candidates with at least 50 % marks (45 % for SC/ST candidates) either in the Bachelor’s Degree and /or in the Master’s Degree in Science / Social Science / Humanities, Engineering or Technology with Specialization in Science and Mathematics with 55% marks (50% for reserved categories) or any other qualification equivalent thereto from a recognized University.
A student shall be eligible for End-Semester Examination if he/she has attended not less than 80% of the lectures delivered in theory including seminars, tutorials etc. in each course and 90% of the internship/field work etc.
The Syllabus and Courses of study in the B.Ed. Special Education (ID) programme are as prescribed by the College from time to time and also governed by its regulations/statutes. The Broad guidelines of the course are as prescribed by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI). The B.Ed. Special Education (ID) programme is of Two Years duration and is divided into four semesters. The candidate has to complete the course with all the components (Theory as well as Internship) in a maximum period of three plus one years from the date of admission to the course.
The candidates admitted to the B.Ed. Special Education (ID) programme are required to deposit fee and other charges as prescribed by the college, the details of which can be had from the admissions office. Difference in amount if any will have to be paid as and when demanded by the college authorities. The fee for B.Ed. Special Education Programme is Rs. 62,900/- per annum. Fee and other charges are subject to revision every year.
"I am a big supporter of experiential learning and the B.Ed. programme offered at MIER college fulfilled all my expectations. Practicing what I learned as a teacher trainee is an amazing experience. Kudos to the faculty for always inspiring me and helping me to chart my learning and career progression map."