MIER College of Education offers a six-month Value-added course on Guidance and Counselling to familiarize Professionals/Teachers with the skills and qualities of an effective counsellor. Learning about Guidance and Counselling will help them to improve everyday functioning by helping people solve problems on daily basis and cope more effectively with changing situations. The programme is useful in developing highly trained individuals as counsellors who are able to use a different range of counselling skills and capabilities with their clients/students. The course is aptly relevant as every organization whether Government or Private need counsellors to handle various concerns of human behaviour in different contexts. The course is offered once a year in the month of January/August. The intake capacity of the course shall be 30 or as prescribed by the competent authority from time to time. A certificate of completion shall be awarded by the college after the assessment of participants through non formal techniques namely group discussions, presentations, assignments, viva-voce and practicum.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
1) To make all professionals/ teachers to have genuine concern about human behaviour and its many manifestations and modify it to help the individuals to help themselves.
2) To develop knowledge and understanding of various psychological disorders among clients/students.
3) To enable the learners to understand different areas of counselling vis-à-vis personal, social and vocational needs of clients/ students.
4) To familiarize learners with the skills and qualities of an effective counsellor.
5) To develop skills in administering, scoring, analyzing and interpreting the data of psychological tests for research-based outcomes on clients/students.
Minimum Qualification for the above programme is graduation in any subject. Candidates pursuing Post Graduation/B.Ed/M.Ed. courses/In service Teachers in Govt. and private sector and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan can also apply.
A certificate of completion shall be awarded by the college after the assessment of participants through non formal techniques namely group discussions, presentations, assignments, viva-voce and practicum.
The students are required to attend regular interactive classes at the institute twice a week on scheduled days. Each student is also required to actively participate in practical and extension activities, group discussions, field visits and allied activities. Out station students are required to make their own arrangements for their boarding and lodging. Hostel accommodation for female candidates can be made available on payment basis, if seats are available in the college hostel located in MIER campus.
The candidates admitted to the course are required to deposit fee and other charges as prescribed by the college, the details of which can be had from the admissions office. Difference in amount if any will have to be paid as and when demanded by the college authorities. The fee for the entire course is Rs. 5000/-. Fee and other charges are subject to revision every year.